Saturday, April 11, 2009

I am obsessed with Clouds. When I was young, about 12, my father started taking flying lessons. It was a very exotic hobby for a blue collar worker to take up. My father fixed washing machines and dryers and had a laundry mat with a dry cleaners in it. My Grandmother worked the dry cleaning counter and my dad fixed the machines in the basement of the laundrymat. The business was located in Hollywood and we lived in the San Fernando Valley. When we were lucky, our father would take us into "town" with him on a Saturday morning and we were put in charge of cleaning the lint out of the dryers. We loved it, opeining up the oversized lint filters and carefully pulling a blanket of lint, all the while careful to keep it in one piece. This this we earned about 50 cents, which we promptly took, and walked down Hollywood Blvd to see what movies were playing. This was in the early 60's and two young kids walking on Hollywood Blvd. were perfectly safe. Hard to believe now.
April 10, 2009 6:34 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment